Sunday, January 29, 2006

In The Dark

I realize today as the sun is setting and I am heading towards a much deserved shower from my first self motivated run since October 15th (a 10km in 42:57 according to my notebook of such matters, which also happens to proclaim in bold letters my first (and last) 30 km week in quite sometime) that, much like silence I’m not used to the dark. There has never been a time in my life when it has in anyway been truly governed by the passage of the sun across the heavens. It has always rose and set on its own timetable, and I have gone about my life on my own timetable as well, especially during college in St. Paul where it never truly got dark at all (which was also always a little creepy). If I wanted to go running there were always street lights around and even sports practices could be done under the stadium lights if needed. If I wanted to go somewhere I just jumped in the car, flicked on the headlights and off we went. The impact is also magnified by living alone up on a hill in a one room house. The scenery at night consists of my house & the dark; with an occasional jaunt over to the bathroom accompanied by the faint glow of the hospital a short ways down the hill. Yet another part of life that comes from a much more natural existence (with emphasis on the nature part) than I have ever encountered on a regular basis. What a world we live in.

~105 North Tower
Just reaching Full Dark
74.7ºF, 82% Humidity (thanks Mom & Dad :o)