Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Importance of Push-Ups

As I contemplate how I spent the last hour working myself around through a variety of distraction and useful enterprises to finally return to my “routine” of sit-ups, pushups and the like I realize how much of a blessing it is to have that hour to puts around before getting down to business. Reading my GRE book is hardly a waste of time, but hearts v the computer definitely doesn’t count as anything remotely close to a useful past time.

I think topping the list of personal achievements I need to gain at this point in my life, regardless of location or official occupation is a sense of discipline. I don’t want my days regimented into a boring, lockstep routine, but I need to be able to grapple with my mind to bend it to the task at hand when the time comes with much less dithering about. The root of my poor study habits and my tendency to write final drafts of papers the first go around in college all stem from this lack of mental discipline. If its time to workout, which deep down is something I want to do, then for the sake of all that is holy, work out! In the future I’m not going to have the luxury of time. It will be now or not today. Just because I haven’t done any push-ups in the past month and its going to hurt more to do less is no reason to dread those prospects. That’s the whole point anyway. Push your body to the limit. If I can’t discipline my mind and body now, and I was certainly unable to do it while Bridget was here, I’ll never be able to do it in a way that I can retain sound mind, body and soul during such a rigorous enterprise as law school. Regardless of where I am physically located in life, mental discipline should be the highest goal and here affords me the time to do it.