Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy Day After...

Time has returned to me. Crashing in with all its intimidating Sartrian potential to do with what I will. Or not to do.
I feel lost in its immensity. Wake. Sleep. Wake. Sleep. Wake.
Get up to a much emptier room than I originally went to sleep in the night before.
Lost. Consult the half-assed list from the night before.
Shave head.
Consult list. Cross it off.
Text to a dozen people:
"HAPPY day after NEW YEARS!! Yet another chance to mess up writing t date on something. I hope you had a great holiday n I look forward to seeing you soon. ~g"
Consult list. Cross it off.
I feel lost & keep moving because I should. Start walking to the LRT & pass a cheap internet cafe. Check my mail & the BBC. The world still goes on. Russia shuts off Ukraine's gas. Iran turns down yet another way out of their international quagmire. Bush still tries to defend a ill-defined spying program.
On the public transport. It feels good to be able to move with my own whims again.
Ayala. Errands - Jump drive #3, ID Photos for my dive certification & to document my bald scalp.
French Crepes, Fine Coffee, my book & Nat Sherman's off a borrowed light.
The couple who provided to original leaves ten minutes later & walks over with a box of matches. "Thought you might need these."
Humanity scores more positive points.
More coffee. More reading.
& I begin writing again.

Life begins again soon. Another phase. It starts by catching up with a friend from Manila this afternoon. Then the Peace Corps office tomorrow & then back to site. For now though, I just want to feel lost & small & insignificant. Just another small heat emitting fleck crawling around on the planet. I revel in my anonymity.
Tomorrow, though, I'll start again.