The Slow Pace of Progress
It’s a slow process, but with a few minor set backs such as destroying my tea pot by trying to boil imaginary water, little by little my house is coming together! I had two unwieldy tables donated by the LGU which still constitute my only furniture (unless you want to count the Therma-rest sleeping pad & pack chair set up), but I put in an order for some wood so hopefully soon I’ll be able to build some of my own. “Ordering” wood is another one of those processes that is completely ad hoc & took awhile to figure out. Let me assure you there isn’t a local lumber mill hiding around here somewhere. All the wood I’ve seen is cut into rough boards with a very large chain saw! I finally managed to chat with a local (extremely talented) furniture maker who gave me a better idea of what dimensions I could order and said he would ask for what I needed next time his supplier came to town. We’ll see what turns up and when, but hopefully it will turn into a kitchen counter & a cabinet where you see the table and stove now.
My array of kitchen supplies has also grown to a respectable amount with the addition of another pot, a fry pan & a place setting donated by Mama Lillian (and yes, a new tea pot…). I even picked up a French press & small thermos when I was in Manila! Instant coffee is great and all, but I really did miss being able to brew my own. I’m now happily back on pace drinking a half liter to a liter a day of the black brew. I usually brew a pot in the morning to take to work in my thermos (one of the old school kind where the top turns into your cup J), and then occasionally indulge in over caffeination with another in the early evening. It’s the simple pleasures…
I also absconded with a stapler from the office so I’ve also been able to adorn what little flat wall space I have with a few things as well. Today I spent the afternoon putting together the various Economist pictures and cartoons I’ve been cutting out into a small collage. Its really starting to feel like a serviceable home! The last big item I need is a foam pad for a bed which I hope to acquire in Santiago sometime next week.
The other enjoyable addition that Ronald and I installed yesterday was a second light (the one to the left in the picture). It makes a huge difference by cutting down on the shadows and allowing me to see what I’m cooking in the evening. It was a touch impromptu, hack instillation job to be sure. Ronald (of the cubit of snow remark) happened to stop by to chat a bit & collect some pig semen for an artificial insemination they were doing that afternoon. Somehow the topic of the light came up, for which I had collected all the various bits and pieces needed in Manila (at an Ace Hardware store, Eureka!!) and he said he would help me put it in. After running the wire and mounting the actual light we discovered that no one had the key to the second native house which just so happens to have the breaker box in it. Not deterred, Ronald simply wrapped some electrical tape around his thumb and forefinger and went to town! Using some clever ideas with a pen and a knife he managed to hook up the light into the hot junction box without a hitch! Good times had by all and my small battery of electrical knowledge just increased; some legitimate lessons learned as well as another way to try and get killed (though the 220v would only give you a really nasty shock, I tried it on a different light earlier). Hopefully in two weeks time when I take go to pick up Bridget in Manila I’ll actually have a proper abode to bring her home too! Carrying her across the threshold might be a bit tricky with the ladder though…
The picture uploader is still not working well so after multiple failed attempts today you'll have to deal with the funny colored and distorted attempt. This was the best one so far. Enjoy!
My array of kitchen supplies has also grown to a respectable amount with the addition of another pot, a fry pan & a place setting donated by Mama Lillian (and yes, a new tea pot…). I even picked up a French press & small thermos when I was in Manila! Instant coffee is great and all, but I really did miss being able to brew my own. I’m now happily back on pace drinking a half liter to a liter a day of the black brew. I usually brew a pot in the morning to take to work in my thermos (one of the old school kind where the top turns into your cup J), and then occasionally indulge in over caffeination with another in the early evening. It’s the simple pleasures…I also absconded with a stapler from the office so I’ve also been able to adorn what little flat wall space I have with a few things as well. Today I spent the afternoon putting together the various Economist pictures and cartoons I’ve been cutting out into a small collage. Its really starting to feel like a serviceable home! The last big item I need is a foam pad for a bed which I hope to acquire in Santiago sometime next week.
The other enjoyable addition that Ronald and I installed yesterday was a second light (the one to the left in the picture). It makes a huge difference by cutting down on the shadows and allowing me to see what I’m cooking in the evening. It was a touch impromptu, hack instillation job to be sure. Ronald (of the cubit of snow remark) happened to stop by to chat a bit & collect some pig semen for an artificial insemination they were doing that afternoon. Somehow the topic of the light came up, for which I had collected all the various bits and pieces needed in Manila (at an Ace Hardware store, Eureka!!) and he said he would help me put it in. After running the wire and mounting the actual light we discovered that no one had the key to the second native house which just so happens to have the breaker box in it. Not deterred, Ronald simply wrapped some electrical tape around his thumb and forefinger and went to town! Using some clever ideas with a pen and a knife he managed to hook up the light into the hot junction box without a hitch! Good times had by all and my small battery of electrical knowledge just increased; some legitimate lessons learned as well as another way to try and get killed (though the 220v would only give you a really nasty shock, I tried it on a different light earlier). Hopefully in two weeks time when I take go to pick up Bridget in Manila I’ll actually have a proper abode to bring her home too! Carrying her across the threshold might be a bit tricky with the ladder though…
The picture uploader is still not working well so after multiple failed attempts today you'll have to deal with the funny colored and distorted attempt. This was the best one so far. Enjoy!


<< Home