Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Home Again

Its really fascinating to watch how with slight, imperceptible changes can radically alter my entire outlook on things. I go from the depths of PGD (post-girlfriend depression, to keep with PC’s love of acronyms) to feeling alright again about site and life and my current lot in it. I’m now even more convinced that it truly has nothing to do with the outside world. It is a dance to be had inside the confines of my skull. Productivity is definitely an important part of it all too. I spent my extra day in Manila, first sleeping through Pittsburgh’s awesome win against the Broncos that started 4am, and proceeded to spend the rest of the day bumming around my friend’s apartment in spurts on the internet and watching the BBC. A very normal kind of day for those of you who have regular access to such novel items, but for me it was revolutionary. The time to let my mind wander in a more natural state to discover the various bits of my mind that were burning for some obscure bit of knowledge. Mostly I was researching law schools, interesting job opportunities with a law degree and ways of gaining some economics credits while I’m here. As luck would have it the London School of Economics offers a “Diploma for Graduates” which fits the bill of what I am looking for rather nicely, if a bit of overkill. Still trying to work out some details on that one, but the point being I had the time and leisure to make such searches and discoveries and to formulate some kind of plan for the next six months. Still a lot of work ahead, but having goals and directions to wander in is wonderfully refreshing after so much time feeling utterly lost.

On a tangentially related note, of all the things I thought I might learn about while I was here, life with a three month old was not one of them. Dale & Sonali are proud new parents and suddenly have a large amount of their time taken up by a small object that alternates between eating, sleeping and crying when he gets a bath. Cute little bugger. On top of that they are still gracious enough to allow their home to be mine, and relaxed enough about it to make it feel as such. Truly wonderful people. It feels good to know that I can still create family anywhere. Not a substitute for those that I have left behind, who I still miss very much, but just a bit of an addition, an extension. Sometime more temporary, sometimes for a lifetime. (trying to explain to people that I really do have a little sister, just not by birth can sometimes be hard, so if you get confused by people asking about one sometime Mom & Dad, I apologize.) It also feels good to know in a very concrete way that kids are going to be awesome and wonderful but certainly not anytime soon.