Computer Generation
I’ve have come to admit exactly how much my life revolves around a computer. Its not that I cannot survive without one, but I thrive on the efficiency and speed that one provides. Upon arriving back at site from my three weeks of training and vacation all the pieces finally clicked into place to allow my laptop onto the net with Outlook up and running. This involved my wonderful parents sending over an ethernet adapter card for my laptop and then getting all the right configurations between my computer and the office network set up. Being able to download my mail and then read it off-line is infinitely times quicker than waiting for each page to load on the slow connection we have. And being able to work at home and then just upload everything is amazing!
I keep saying its the small things that make all the difference. Bits and pieces of how I’m used to operating in the States which can be imported here allow me to feel more comfortable, work more efficiently and therefore be of more help. I truly believe that finding those little bits of home really makes adapting that much easier too. I got back into town Thursday afternoon and I spent most of the weekend organizing and setting up my laptop to really be a useful tool while I’m here. It provides so many resources that I’m used to using from my college days; a calendar, contacts book, and the ability to write emails while I’m at home all make a huge difference. After a busy day at the office putting the final touches on the paper work I need to officially move to my native house and then finishing the transfer of all my files to my laptop I’ve noticed an appreciable rise in energy levels and attitude as well. I feel like I’ve actually been able to sink my teeth into a task and get something done, even if its just organizing and setting up for the next stage of starting projects. Now if I could just do the same with something community related…
I think a lot of it has to do with being able to take control over a small part of my own life again. For so long now I’ve been tossing in the wind of a new culture trying to find my bearings. Whether its when I eat, or how much of what’s been going on the past three weeks (not to mention daily) someone cares to tell me. I’ve been spending far to much time allowing circumstances to dictate my life. Part of that is definitely necessary to find some of the boundaries of a new culture and to learn the rules, and part of that is out of my control (though how I do wish I could open up brains and take a look) but a more balanced approach is greatly improving sanity levels. Now after I line up all the tangibles to turn my empty native house into a home I’ll really be set to take off! … Then in a month I’ll be sick of cooking again and it will be back to reality, but for now I’m really excited for the prospect. Ah… the roller coaster ride continues. Was it really just this last Friday that I felt so down and out on this whole gig? What will tomorrow bring I wonder? Hopefully my mail for starters. The joys of an absentee postperson…
I keep saying its the small things that make all the difference. Bits and pieces of how I’m used to operating in the States which can be imported here allow me to feel more comfortable, work more efficiently and therefore be of more help. I truly believe that finding those little bits of home really makes adapting that much easier too. I got back into town Thursday afternoon and I spent most of the weekend organizing and setting up my laptop to really be a useful tool while I’m here. It provides so many resources that I’m used to using from my college days; a calendar, contacts book, and the ability to write emails while I’m at home all make a huge difference. After a busy day at the office putting the final touches on the paper work I need to officially move to my native house and then finishing the transfer of all my files to my laptop I’ve noticed an appreciable rise in energy levels and attitude as well. I feel like I’ve actually been able to sink my teeth into a task and get something done, even if its just organizing and setting up for the next stage of starting projects. Now if I could just do the same with something community related…
I think a lot of it has to do with being able to take control over a small part of my own life again. For so long now I’ve been tossing in the wind of a new culture trying to find my bearings. Whether its when I eat, or how much of what’s been going on the past three weeks (not to mention daily) someone cares to tell me. I’ve been spending far to much time allowing circumstances to dictate my life. Part of that is definitely necessary to find some of the boundaries of a new culture and to learn the rules, and part of that is out of my control (though how I do wish I could open up brains and take a look) but a more balanced approach is greatly improving sanity levels. Now after I line up all the tangibles to turn my empty native house into a home I’ll really be set to take off! … Then in a month I’ll be sick of cooking again and it will be back to reality, but for now I’m really excited for the prospect. Ah… the roller coaster ride continues. Was it really just this last Friday that I felt so down and out on this whole gig? What will tomorrow bring I wonder? Hopefully my mail for starters. The joys of an absentee postperson…


<< Home