Sunday, May 29, 2005

Peanut Butter?

The strange things you mind yourself doing in a foreign place that you would never expect… like standing in the aisle of the grocery store comparing the sugar content of your various peanut butter options. The lowest I could find was 3g of sugar in a 2 Tbs. serving which was in an American import. Most had 7.5g & the “Sweet & Creamy” variety had 11g of sugar for the same serving size!! Yuck. This culture does like its sugar and they add it to everything. I used to razz people in the States for how much sugar and cream they put into a perfectly good cup of coffee but that’s nothing compared to here where you’ll typically see two large heaping spoonfuls of sugar and one of cream into an 8 oz mug. & people think I’m crazy for drinking my coffee “black” & that’s only after I explain to them what “black” coffee means…

Finished Book: “Seven Storey Mountain” by Thomas Merton. (Thanks Mrs. Valenta!)