Saturday, May 28, 2005

Mosquitoes...

In places where they issue you a mosquito net, you should really use it. I’ve had two recent reminders to that point in the past few days. 1st, two trainees from our Hub have had the joyous first hand experience with Dengue fever, a lovely tropical disease spread by our little blood sucking friends. I guess you pretty much feel like death, complete with a large itchy rash covering your lower legs. It starts our as flu-like symptoms and gets progressively worse from there. The best part is that there really isn’t much they can do once you’ve got it but let the disease run its course and make you as comfortable as possible for the next 5-7 days while you’re stuck in bed. From there you can start the slow recovery to actually feeling like remaining on the planet again. Hopefully there is some hyperbole, but that’s the gist of it as its been described. I hope to not have to report from my own viewpoint on this one. The good news is that you can only get it four times; once from each of four strains…
The 2nd reminder was from my own first hand experience. I was trying to save myself the trouble of hauling an extra bag from Hub to Lamut and back since we would were only going to be home for two nights & so left my net at Hub. Of course the last two nights just happened to coincide with the start of the rainy season and so there are also many more mosquitoes around, or at least it seemed like it. So now I’m currently covered in bites, but the worst part was the lack of sleep from them announcing my impending doom by periodically buzzing by my ears making me twitch violently & flail about my head for a few seconds before once again resigning myself to my fate of less blood & more itching. & why do they always go for the feet anyway?? Specifically my Achilles…it isn’t like I was dipped in the River or anything…
But nothing serious to worry about, the Dengue mosquitoes sleep during the night. It’s the malaria ones you have to worry about while your sleeping….