Taste of Life
A walk to the store is intimidating & wondrous. Trying to find toothpaste; a challenge & then what kind do you get? Of course your usual kind isn’t here.
The old lady begging to the market who follows the white boy because his skin color is a sign of money. What do you do? What do you say with your handful of Ilokono words?
Buying mangos at the market when you have no idea how much they should cost or how such an exchange is supposed to go. And how do you express gratitude when the lady gives you the difference in change that neither of you could make?
And life is so exhilarating because of it all! So many new challenges to overcome, even the small ones can fill you with joy. A text from your host brother acknowledging you’ll be home late, referring to you as “Kuya”, older brother. Respect. Family.
Looking forward to navigating an early morning jeepney ride home alone & trying to find the bank along the way.
And so many experiences that I have no idea where to even begin to look for them. How do I buy a hat? And can I find a classic Vietnamese peasant style one? How about a mulong? Or the shirt they wear here for formal occasions? How do I get it tailor made? I suppose these all will come with time, but the anticipation of them brings excitement enough for now. I just need to keep my ear to the ground and see what turns up. For now I have toothpaste & some mangos & right now that is plenty of excitement for me!


<< Home