Friday, March 11, 2005

A Little Side Adventure

18 days and counting and I guess I decided I didn't have enough to do so I'm heading off on a little pre-adventure adventure. In some ways a bit of a trial run if you will. I signed up to take a Wilderness First Responders course. It is an excellent certification mainly aimed at people who are interested in serious hiking and professional guiding. Working as a guide for a company like NOLS (www.nols.edu) would be an amazing job and one of many pipe dreams I have. Beyond that all that, the knowledge will be handy to know for life in the rural Philippines. (For a run down of the course check out www.wildmed.com/course_fact_sheets/wfr_facts/html )

So my travel pack, a carry on bag, and my sleeping bag will all be on a plane to Hamilton New York this afternoon for a fun filled 8 days of medical knowledge, complete with full simulations including fake blood which will be video taped to review later on. Crazy eh? And the best part is throughout the whole deal I get to sleep in my new one man tent! Yeah for winter camping!! It should be a fairly tame experience though. I'll be right outside the back door of "Base Camp" where I assume we cook and have our lectures and showers are only a 100 yd. dash away. If worst comes to worst I'm sure I can also find some nice Colgate University student to let me sleep on their floor. So everyone have a great week and send warm thoughts my way!!

~george